Sunday, October 10, 2010

DIY - Chain Detail Jacket

While looking through the September fashion magazines, I couldn't help but notice that tweed jackets with chain detail were popping up in all of them. I've loved tweed and boucle jackets for a long time and the idea of making them more tough and rock n' roll with chains was interesting.

I scanned the magazine pages and found two styles I liked. On the left is a jacket by Temperley London, $995 and center is by Plastic Island for $216. I searched the web and found the jacket on the right at Ann Taylor LOFT for $148.

I happen to own a black boucle jacket with fringe detail. I don't wear it often because it isn't very interesting. I decided to create my own chain detail jacket. Using the jacket I own, a few extra supplies, and some time,I thought I could get the magazine, high style look for much less.

You can do the same, you'll just need a few supplies. If you don't have a jacket, you can find one at a thrift or discount store for a bargain. I purchased mine at a discount store for around $30. Don't worry if sewing isn't your strong suit. You don't need to be a seamstress. If you can sew on a button, you can do this.

Supply List
  1. Jacket
  2. Needle and thread (matching the jacket)
  3. Ruler
  4. Chalk pencil, chalk or a sliver of soap for marking (if needed)
  5. Chain of your choice
  6. Wire cutters or pliers


First you should determine where you'll want to place your chain. Then you'll need to measure your jacket at those points to calculate the amount of chain you'll need. It is sold in inches, usually in prepackaged links from a local craft store. There are lots of chain options. I selected a heavy, chunky style for the look I wanted.

Measure the area where you are placing the first section of chain. I started with the pockets.



Cut the chain based on your measurements, to fit the section. I didn't cut all of my chain before I started sewing, I did it as I went along.



Stitch the chain on, using a looping stitch. You don't need to attach each link. I ran my thread under the fabric and chain, only attaching every third link.



In order to ensure that the chain is even, you may want to measure and mark about every half inch.


Using a jacket I already owned, a few supplies, and some chain I purchased from a local craft store (for $7.50), I have a great "new" jacket. If you don't already own a needle and thread, you can also get that at a craft store. You need a basic sewing needle and all purpose thread to match your jacket.

I now own one of the trend items for fall, a boucle jacket with chain detail. My grand total: $37.50. If I don't count, the jacket I already owned and rarely wore, only $7.50!



Pin It!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...